You may have noticed we have been very quiet over the last few months without releasing any updates. The reason is we are on our final run to the beta release with the new world map!
This means all core features and content will be in the game and we can finally focus entirely on stability, bug-fixing and polish. (Features and content may still be added in the future, but not until after a full stable 1.0 release)
I won’t give an exact date for the beta release because it will depend on how smoothly things go, but it will be in a few weeks from now, probably early February. Here are the details:
NEW WORLD (0.80.0)
Due to the sheer size of the new map the first release will be restricted to a certain area only. This area will gradually expand with more updates, but the main focus now is going to be on stability and polish.
- Entirely new world map. More detailed and polished, new factions, new content, things to explore. Its’ like Kenshi 2. Crazy. I should have called it Kenshi 2 and charged for it again, but I didn’t. Damn.
- Entirely revamped research tech-tree, new technologies and balance.
- Totally new buildings. Multiple floors, and you can mount turrets on the rooftops.
- New power system. Generators require fuel, wind power fluctuates with the wind strength, batteries compensate for fluctuations.
- Revamped farming system and different crops.
- New animals, and new races with own strengths and weaknesses.
- There’s water now. Rivers to cross and oceans to drown in.
- Camping- You can build easy camp beds and fires for survival when travelling
- Bandit camps, somewhere for them to retreat to and stage assaults.
Build camps while travelling
New sub-races and Skeleton race in the character editor
- Buildings are now made with multiple materials. Machinery requires iron and sometimes copper.
- Thievery is improved, buildings have things to steal, guards are more alert.
- NPCs use the stuff in their homes, guards train, people sit etc
- Guards in buildings and shops now descreetly sort of follow you about, keeping an eye on you
- Fixed getting busted for stealing from accidental clicks. You can look inside unlocked containers, and lock picking has to be chosen through the right-click menu.
- Reduced labour/engineering speed penalty at level 1 from 0.25x to 0.5x. This will speed things up slightly at the lower levels when starting out
- Stealth skill is easier to train in non-hostile environments.
- Increased trade profitability by 50%, this combined with thievery should provide decent alternatives to looting as a profession in the early game stage.
- Leather crafting now requires you to hunt for animal skins
- Tons of bugfixes.
Revamped farming system and totally new buildings
- New fancy shadow system, looks nicer and more importantly runs faster.
- New terrain engine. Runs faster, looks nicer and shows more detail for distant mountains
- A lot of fundamental engine optimisations have been done, this may temporarily cause new bugs, but hopefully speed things up
- Overhauled with a new PBR & HDR global lighting system, should make a great improvement to the visual quality -(Credit for this goes to Linda MacGill and Igor Frolov of Bug Zen!)
New world map and shadow system